Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thank you friends, social media, online games and Home Fries!

I know social media has been getting some bad press lately, and taken to the extreme, it’s just like anything else, it can be harmful. However, social media came into my life at a low point for me and helped bring me back into the living.

I joined Facebook shortly after I lost one of my best friends from high school. As tough as that loss was for me, the fact that I had so many people, that I hadn’t talked to in years, “friend” me, made me smile. And we all know that when you talk with old or new friends about their lives, it often helps you get past the bumps in your life. I spent time catching up with people from high school, kids I used to babysit and co-workers. There were lots of wide-eyed, whoa moments, and plenty of fun too.

Then, by my son’s doing, I started playing games. That brought a whole new world into my social media life. I started talking with people from all over the world, and many of them, quickly became my friends. I’ve never met any of them and probably never will. That was six years ago and I’m still friends with many of them. When I lost my mom, I had so many more people there for me, and that was priceless.

Recently, as many of you know, I have become a HUGE Home Free fan, and again social media has brought me many new friends. Home Free is a country a cappella group that will get you hooked on a cappella music. However, something else they have is the greatest fans in the world. I joined several fan groups, which, at first seemed odd at my age. But in time I got comfortable and started talking with many fans. Plus, this time, I actually got to meet some of my online friends! A few Home Fries are local to me and that led to concerts in Oklahoma and Texas and some great times. One sweet lady flew all the way from Germany to Dallas, Texas to see a Home Free concert! I have a whole new set of friends that have put me on a path to writing again, sharing, crying and laughing until my sides ache. It’s been an amazing nine months getting to know Home Fries from around the world.

Now, so you don’t think I sit in front of my computer all the time and type my life away, I have plenty to keep me busy. My son has been in a marching band, playing Bass drum, for the last 6 years, in high school and college. I’ve been to almost every home game he marched in and a few competitions. Plus many concerts, like Barbershop chorus, Cuban drums and Men’s choir. My daughter and I are very active in Girl Scouts. She becomes a Brownie this year with a great cookie selling track record. I am a volunteer photographer for our troop and our service unit and I’m the Cookie Momster for our troop. My kids, band and Girl Scouts have also brought many new friends into my life.

So you see, social media really can be a great source of meeting people and learning amazing things. When I say learning new things, I don’t mean believing everything you read and the drama, I mean talking with people of all ages and from all over the world. I have learned about conditions I never knew existed, triumphs that shouldn’t have happened and the endless amount of strength and hope that people possess. Men, women and children alike. And let's not forget some of the funniest jokes too! Social media doesn’t have to be your only source of socializing, but it can make what you have even better. However, as we’ve all heard before, all things in moderation.


So this goes out to all my social media friends, the ones I’ve been lucky enough to meet and the many I haven’t met. You have all enriched my life in ways that are hard to describe, but easy to know. And to all of my family and friends, on social media or not, thank you for being a part of my life and best wishes to you all! And now, since I don't get paid to blog, I guess I should get back to work and so should you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment