Thursday, April 2, 2015

Get to know and love Home Free...country a cappella at it's best!

Do you love a great guitar riff, bass line or drum solo? Yeah, me too. I’ve always had a great appreciation for spectacular vocals, though. Whether they are big and bold, sweet and simple or unique and emotional, it’s more work than most know. A cappella groups, in my opinion, have always been under rated and misjudged. I’m certainly not an A cappella connoisseur, but I know what sounds good. I have recently discovered A cappella groups such as Pentatonix, Home Free and many more. I’ve heard some amazing singers and vocal percussionists (now that is mind blowing). But one of these A cappella groups stands out to me and their many fans.

Home Free is a county A cappella group and is five guys and only five guys. The talent these five gentlemen possess is something you have to hear to understand. Not to mention they are easy on the eyes, but I won’t go there, wink. Home Free has actually been around for about fifteen years and the two founding members are brothers, Chris and Adam Rupp. Chris is one of the main arrangers and the baritone. I can’t honestly say which he does better. His voice is one that catches your attention and reels you in and his arranging is nothing less than amazing. Chris is the most interactive with the fans and I know the fans appreciate him and all he does. Adam is the vocal percussionist and may I say, “OMG are you serious," good at what he does. Even though I’ve heard his solo in person, I still get blown away when I hear him. You have to see and hear him, to really appreciate Adam’s talent.

Rob Lundquist, tenor, joined the group in 2008. Rob is usually introduced as the man with the voice of angel and the beard of a real man. I would classify him as a cuddly teddy bear that could sing to me all night and I’d just want more. I’ve heard this big, jovial man sing the lead, do incredible whistle solos, beautifully interpret Christmas songs, like an angel and then rap until he just couldn’t rap anymore, and rock all of them. Rob is truly a perfect addition to this group.

Austin Brown, Home Free heart throb and youngest member. He is the high tenor and will knock your socks off when you hear him go for it. One of my favorite songs to hear Austin sing is “I Want Crazy”, by Hunter Hayes. He has so much energy and soul. Austin joined the group in 2013 after meeting them while performing on a cruise ship, and it was a great find for Home Free. He can break your heart in one song and have you ready to take on the world in the next song. Mr. Brown is full of life and it shows in his vocals.

Tim Foust, the bass, well and baritone and tenor, oh, he can sing all the parts with his five octave range. But, his bass voice is what all the ladies want to hear. Tim’s sophisticated arrangements set them apart from other groups. But before Home Free, he recorded a solo country album and Home Free has added three of those original songs to their playlist. Tim’s childlike personality goes perfect with his flirty, fun and moving performances.  Still, the best part is when Super Bass, literally, makes you feel the rumble with his low notes. Just pure awesomeness!

Individually, these guys stand out. Put them together and the result is a range of addictive music and pure entertainment. Their “Crazy Life” CD is a mix of covers that some would say are better than the originals, and original songs that will melt your heart and make you want to slap your boyfriend. Seeing them live in concert is an absolute must, in order to know, you will never miss the instruments! You’ll be pulled in, like so many of their fans. Not all their songs are for everyone, but I guarantee there is at least one song of theirs that will make you say, “Whoa, that was phenomenal!”  Or, if you’re more urban than I am, “Whoa, that was sic!”

A few final thoughts about Home Free is that these guys are generous to a fault, grateful beyond words, humble and funny, even at their own expense, not to mention extremely talented. I look forward to each song, video, concert and album they do. If they come to your city, go see them, you’ll be glad you did.

Check them out on YouTube. Some of their covers are “All About The Bass,” “Wake Me Up,” “Story of My Life,” “Thinking Out Loud/Let’s Get It On” and of course, “Ring of Fire.” Their original songs are “I’ve Seen,” “Everything Will Be Okay,” and “Champagne Taste (on a beer budget).” They have a couple of great medleys too, “Hunter Hayes Medley” and “Butts Medley.” You won’t regret it and just might get hooked on Home Free. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTFuNYrqAcsmSjgqYMvxOqw


Photo taken at a concert in Nederland, TX. by Michelle Gallardo 10/26/2014

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Michelle! I especially like "Mr. Brown is full of life and it shows in his vocals.". That is spot on! Well, it's all spot on, really!

    ReplyDelete