Sunday, February 22, 2015

Featured Song "Homeward Bound in Texas"

Good morning! Last week I wrote, what I call, a useless ditty about the Home Free Home Fries. Home Fries are an amazing, funny, worldwide, strong and dedicated group of Home Free fans. After a great weekend of promoting Home Free, I had to update that ditty and it can be found on the Home Free Fun page. If you're a fry, I hope you like the addition.

I've also decided to start "featuring" a song/lyrics or poem, periodically, to give everyone insight as to my inspirations. I'm going to start with a song that was inspired by my first Home Free concert. I really wanted to go see them, but Nederland was a long drive for a Sunday concert. A little fangirling here, but on Twitter Tim Foust announced some things about the Nederland concert (his hometown). A girl tweeted "God, why can't I live in Texas" or something similar. I responded with "I do, I do". Well, Mr. Foust, himself, favorited my tweet and that was it, I was going to Nederland. Took Monday off from work, bought the tickets and planned a trip. I took my daughter (my son was in Poland with his college drumline) and went to Nederland, Texas to see Home Free! We went through the back roads and small towns, not through Houston. The concert was, needless to say, amazing and I didn't come down for a week...ok, two weeks...ok maybe still getting over it! On our way back, the trees and farms and scenery blew my mind and this is the inspiration for this song (also found on the New Song Lyrics page above):

Homeward Bound in Texas
Driving the back roads of Texas, trees as far as I can see, Passing small towns, wondering where the roads will take me
I’ve been driving all day, not really sure where I am, This winding farm road is lonely, majestic and grand

(chorus)
The sun is setting over this peaceful countryside, I’m sitting back driving and enjoying the ride
A weekend drive through your endless fields, Texas beauty and grace will never yield
A few more miles, a few more small towns, Then Texas help me to be homeward bound

Nothing can compare to driving with the wind in your hair, Windows down, music turned up and going no where
Not sure where I’ll end up, so for now I’ll just go, Texas is my home, from Dallas to San Antonio

(chorus)
The sun is setting over this peaceful countryside, I’m sitting back driving and enjoying the ride
A weekend drive through your endless fields, Texas beauty and grace will never yield
A few more miles, a few more small towns, Then Texas help me to be homeward bound

Drove around Houston and the stockyards in Ft. Worth, Saw the sun rise in Abilene, coming up on this great earth
Headed back north of Dallas, home where I belong, I love driving this Lone Star state, so I had to write this song

(chorus)
The sun is setting over this peaceful countryside, I’m sitting back driving and enjoying the ride
A weekend drive through your endless fields, Texas beauty and grace will never yield
A few more miles, a few more small towns, Then Texas help me to be homeward bound

Written by Michelle Gallardo

October 27, 2014, updated February 2, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment